Sunday, February 24, 2008

Musee de la Poupee, Musee Grevin

Before I get into the real point of this entry, consider the following image:


Photobucket

Chicken and thyme flavored potato chips! Love it!


Anyway. So I woke up this morning and decided it was a lovely day to knock a few items off the extensive List of Amusing And/Or Bizarre Places to Visit in Paris, which I created before I left home. I called Elizabeth and we decided on a duo of themed attractions: the Musée de la Poupée, and the Musée Grèvin.


The Musée de la Poupée was a several-room collection of dolls, dating from the early 1800s to the present. I wanted to go to this museum because I have a genuine interest in dolls, having been a connoisseur of Barbies and the American Girl Doll fad, but also because large groups of dolls scare the daylights out of me. I've selected some of the best pictures to represent our visit.


Photobucket
Aww, cute little turn-of-the-century dolls.


Photobucket
Is this politically correct?


Photobucket
Fifties Housewife Doll instructs pupils in the art of wife skills.


Photobucket
I feel like this picture should have an lolcats caption. "ATTACK BABY: PWNAGE IMMINENT."


Photobucket
The museum also had fertility figures and dolls from other cultures. The one on the top is a voodoo doll with pins stuck into it. What I want to know is whether the intended victim really wore that awful pink checkered dress.


Thus concludes the doll museum, so now it's time for the Musée Grèvin. A lot of the waxworks were of famous French persons that Elizabeth and I didn't know, but we posed with them anyway.


Photobucket


Me and the Governator, one of the few American celebrities that the Musée Grèvin deemed worthy of inclusion.


Photobucket


Jean-Paul Sartre and I discuss existentialism and the reason for No Exit's anticlimactic ending.


Photobucket


Apparently these women are comic French characters? Elizabeth blends in so realistically.


Photobucket
They had Rhett and Scarlet!!


Photobucket


Joan of Arc and I are stoic because we are about to be burned at the stake.


Photobucket


I contract Black Death. ("Bring out yer dead... bring out yer dead..." "I'm not dead yet!" "You will be." "I'm feeling better!" "Bring out yer dead..." "I'm going for a walk later!")


Photobucket


Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!


Photobucket


Charlemagne and I are pals.


Photobucket


Elizabeth assists Leonardo da Vinci with his latest invention.


Photobucket


Maybe if I stare Hemingway down his writing won't suck so much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY LORD.

The wax figure pictures are hilarious! I love that they had our fave existential writer. (That reminds me, I don't know if I told you but there's an episode of "Firefly" that's about existentialism. We should watch it together and analyze.) I'm glad you got to visit the odd museums. I think the Fifties doll should build a "wife skills" academy. Classes include the art of bed-making, Biblical cuisine and synonyms for "yes, dear."

Anonymous said...

I see a Jean-Paul Sartre, but was there a Simone de Beauvoir? (Tsk tsk, les francais! [dude, there's no cedille on my keyboard.])

My favorite picture is the one where you're dying from the plague. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Dude I <3 the monty python references. yay hehe. :D

crapman said...

Is that the Bride of Chuckie in the Attack photo? The French think of her as part of our culture - But, of course!

Love the photos.

Virginia Hepp
(Rich is my husband's computer - mine is fried)

MI-expatriate said...

I did not note a corncob doll in the collection. I was disappointed.