Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rainy days at the Louvre

We had a class at the Louvre the other day, but I am a genius and brought my digital camera sans memory stick, so I didn't get any pictures until now. Today Paul took us on a tour of the Louvre as a monument, so stay tuned for a brief synopsis of the 800+ years of the building's history.


Photobucket

We convene in the central courtyard of the Louvre. The glass pyramid, designed by the Chinese-born American architect I.M. Pei (much to the chagrin of Parisians), was added in the 1980s and serves as the entrance to the museum. Although starkly modern in its use of glass and steel, the addition reflects a sensitivity to the museum's integrity in that its pyramid shape calls to mind the first Egyptian treasures the Louvre held. Also, since the glass is alternately reflective and transparent depending on the weather, visitors' attention is ultimately drawn back to the surrounding architecture of the historic courtyard.


Photobucket

It was kind of a yucky day today, but the Louvre is still pretty in the rain.


Photobucket

When the construction on the Louvre began, the site was actually in the countryside just outside the city proper of Paris. As the city limits expanded it became more central-- now it's right in the middle of several busy thoroughfares. It's hard to get a picture of a lot of the Louvre at one time because it's ginormous, but here's the part of the facade that bears some of the earliest and most ornate architectural detail.


Photobucket

Like this Medusa head! Paul says the popularity of the Medusa in French architecture is probably due to the revived interest in classical Greco-Roman iconography.


Photobucket

When construction on the Louvre site began in 1190, the intention was to use the structure as a fortress for the protection of Paris during the Crusades. Until the 1980s no one knew that part of the original medieval foundations were still in place underground. This part of the Louvre is built over the site where the original castle stood.


Photobucket

Once inside the Louvre you can tour the remains of the medieval foundations. Here we are in the area that would have been the moat. The glass-protected feature on the left is part of the supports for the original drawbridge.


Photobucket

These heart-shaped engravings, found in multiple places on the fortress walls, were made by the original stonemasons. Ancient graffiti!


Photobucket

Kristen poses in the keep.


Photobucket

The Louvre was transformed into a palace in the 1350s and housed the kings of France until the mid 1500s, when it underwent renovations to make it less fortressy and more hospitable.


Photobucket

The Louvre courtyard was once fully enclosed; a fourth wing connected those on the left and right in this picture. It was burned down in the 1870s, though, so now the courtyard is only bordered on three sides, affording onlookers a view of the Tuileries garden and even L'Arc de Triomphe, in the distance.


Photobucket

Following the Revolutionary sentiments of the late 18th century, the Louvre became a museum open to the public in 1793.


The next series of pictures are from the stunningly overdecorated private apartments of Napoleon III, who lived in the Louvre.


Photobucket

I love the giant circular couch! This would have been the main reception room for visitors to the palace.


Photobucket

Everything in these rooms glitters. It's mesmerizing.


Photobucket

I have a not-so-secret love of opulent chandeliers.


Photobucket

These chairs are so unusual and cool. Paul explained that they were made this way so that three women could sit on it simultaneously and whisper gossip to one another without looking conspicuous. Facing them away from each other also allowed room for the giant skirts to drape over the edges of the chair.


Photobucket
I'm inside the glass pyramid.


Photobucket

Across the street from the Louvre is the Seine River.


Photobucket

We love pictures where we can sneak the Eiffel Tower into the background just to remind people that we're in Paris.


Photobucket

Molly was dying for a picture where she could look cute with her parapluie.


Photobucket

Hey look, my first view of Notre Dame!


Photobucket

The advertising on the side of this restaurant is awesome.


Photobucket

Our day ends with our first visit to Le MacDo. Elizabeth tried some kind of hot chocolate that also possibly had powdered banana and/or wheat in it, it was hard to tell from the packaging. I got a diet coke-- when they ask if you want the "petite" size, they're not kidding!


Then I walked myself several blocks in the wrong direction and it was dark before I found my way home, because I have zero sense of direction. The end!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love those chairs! I want some gossiping chairs in my house! Better yet, they'd be perfect for the first floor of Comm Arts, so we can judge everyone on their way to get coffee.

MI-expatriate said...

I'm pretty sure Customs would pick up on that chandelier in your backpack - best not to try it....

justin said...

I agree with Diane, those chairs are amazing. But we should put them in the League or the Union so students are better situated to gossip with each other whilst people watching.

By the way, this reminds me...Marcus recently purchased the A&E rendition of Pride and Prejudice and we (we being Marcus, Josh, and myself) are in the process of watching it. I believe both our commentary and reproductions of the film make viewing it a much more worthwhile experience than it would be otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with your mom. Bring the chandelier home. Just say it was on clearance at the duty-free shop.

Paris looks amazing. I was telling my mom about how you're there and now she wants to go back (she went when she was our age).

Anywho, continue to enjoy your culturally-enriching experiences abroad. I'm jealous, but only because spring break hasn't been springy at all.

Kristen Walter said...

it happened to me today! I was walking with my ipod and someone stopped me to ask for directions, I immediately rushed home to post a blog entitled: