Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Le dernier mois

Here's something weird: at this time next month, I will have been home for a week. How did this semester go by so fast without the weather ever really getting good??


So yes, three and a half weeks remain of my study abroad adventure, and I'm overwhelmed with mixed emotions. One half of me is despairing at the idea of leaving Paris, because who knows when I'll be back in Europe again? What will I do without my chicken chips? Will I miss my awkward yet hilarious dinner conversations with my host dad? And how will I survive when I get the now periodic craving for a nutella-coconut crepe??


But, I think I'll be really happy to go back to the land of Meijer, home of 50-cent frozen pot pies and a snack aisle bigger than Franprix itself. I'll be happy to pay $7.50 for a movie at Quality 16, as opposed to 9 euro. And I'm so excited to go to my parents' house and pick up my tiny, gentle Belle, a cat that makes Tilo look like the feline spawn of Satan incarnate.


So, with the twenty-odd days left at my disposal, here is my must-do list. If anyone reading this would like to accomplish these goals avec moi, n'hesitez pas to let me know.


Things I Must See, Eat, Do, and Otherwise Experience Before My Depature
1) Berthillion ice cream on Ile St. Louis, rumored to be the best in Paris
2) the Rodin museum, rumored to have some stuff Rodin made
3) the Catacombs, stacked to the brim with dead people
4) Angelina's, even though I should've sampled the famed hot chocolate when the weather was crappy
5) the Musee Fragonard, also full of dead people
6) the Middle Ages museum, for nerdular enjoyment
7) a macaroon from Laduree, even though paying five euro for it will make me cry
8) escargot at a restaurant with no English menu translations
9) buy a piece of street art
10) buy an egg cup to remind me of my fateful soft-boiled oeuf dilemmas


I think that'll keep me busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the street art is the most important thing you should do, or perhaps have your portrait done by the artists in Montmarte - is that what it is called near Sacre Coeur - is that how that is spelled? Clueless American!

Anyway, your gentle Belle and your other tabby Toby were just having a hiss and spit fight while I was reading your blog. Fatty and skinny - skinny wins, age before weight?