Sunday, May 18, 2008

A spring break montage III

The final installment! After this we can go back to Paris!


Stockholm, SWEDEN


Photobucket

The lobby of my ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm. Titanic-tastic!


Photobucket

View from deck.


Photobucket

The harbor in Stockholm. I like boats.


Photobucket

Those Swedes have a goofy sense of humor.


Photobucket

This is the humungous museum of Nordic History in Stockholm. They had a lot of really interesting exhibits ranging from Swedish traditions to the evolution of Swedish furniture to costumes spanning hundreds of years. I wasn't supposed to take pictures inside, but I totally did.


Photobucket

Please, please, let this wedding dress come back into style.


Photobucket

In Swedish culture, the oldest girl in the family dresses up as St. Lucia around Christmas time and brings a tray of refreshments to her family. I knew this before visiting the museum because my childhood American Girl Doll of choice had been Kirsten, the Swedish-American immigrant! Nerdfiiighters.


Photobucket

There was a scary collection of death masks at the Nordic Museum. Apparently it was really popular in Sweden to make plaster casts of a famous person's face immediately after s/he died, and the museum has over a dozen of them all lined up in a glass case. Creepy.


Photobucket

C'est moi a Stockholm.


Oslo, NORWAY


In Oslo I went to the Munch musuem, but The Scream was not on display because they're cleaning it or something. Here are two other paintings that I liked, though:


Photobucket


Photobucket

I think I like them cuz they're spooky.


Photobucket

It's me with a Viking ship!


This sign was in the street and I had to take a picture of it--


Photobucket

Made stale for everyone else?


Photobucket

This fast food menu sign is actually from the carnival I went to with my couchsurfer in Gothenburg, but it's the only picture from that city that made it into my upload folder, so I'm not giving it its own category. I had expressed slight revulsion at the idea of a hot dog topped with mashed potatoes and drizzled with ketchup, but Danny just gave me a curious look and said it was a popular meal item in Sweden. Sure enough, the people in line ahead of us ordered one. To me it just looks like a bizarre, savory version of a banana split.


That's all for Eastern Europe and Scandinavia! Hope you enjoyed.

1 comment:

justin said...

Ren-faire (yes, with the "e") girl would be extraordinarily jealous of your excursion to the Nordic museum...as am I. That Burger King sign is hilarious btw, I definitely thought the same thing before reading your caption!

Your vacation looks like it was sooo much fun, wish I could have been there. :(

p.s. no, I haven't died