Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Montmartre, take two

I should be doing my homework, but as usual I'd prefer not to.


So remember on Saturday when Molly, Leetal and I went to Montmartre but managed not to see any famous stuff? Erin and I went back there today and remedied the situation.


Photobucket


Here's Erin in front of our first destination of interest, the Sacré-Coeur Basilica (literally, "Sacred Heart"). It was built in 1875 on the hill Montmartre, the highest point in the city, which also gives its name to the surrounding neighborhood.


Photobucket


Viewed from below the church cuts a pretty striking outline against the sky. We went inside, too, but since it's a functional church you're not allowed to take pictures of the interior.


Photobucket


It's me! With Paris in the background. The view from the top of Montmartre is pretty breathtaking-- you can see the city laid out for miles.


Photobucket


Montmartre is also home to the biggest concentration of sex shops you may ever see in your life. Here's me attempting to look seductive (fail) in front of the Sexodrome, which, according to Erin's host parents, houses five stories of erotic toys.


Photobucket


Look, I wasn't kidding! It's the Erotica Supermarket! (See first entry, Je suis arrivee)


Photobucket


C'est le Moulin Rouge! Slightly different from the movie version. There was a long line at the door when we got there, even though the shows apparently run over 100 Euros. Our Paris by Site class will be going there (for a tour, not a show) later in the semester.


Then it was time to go home. Erin left me at Rue de Rivoli, and I cut through the courtyard of the Louvre. I'd not yet been to the Louvre at night, and I didn't realize they lit it up so prettily! Erin said that her host parents told her that Paris is much better at night than during the day, and I think I have to agree.


Photobucket


At night the glass pyramid is electric blue.


That's all for today; stay tuned for Thursday when I will give you a tour of the Metro (for real this time).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get to go in the erotic supermarket! Think of the story potential! Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you, I took a five hour nap by accident. :\

Anonymous said...

You did that Louvre picture by yourself didn't you? That just seems wrong. Where are the French men, following you, wanting you? Aside from that, you look like you are trying to whistle in front of the sex-o-drome, or whatever it was called. Could that explain the lack of French men? STOP WHISTLING!!! <3

justin said...

Your look of supposed seduction looks like you are trying to imitate a fish. Is that some sort of a Parisian fetish?

I really hope you went inside one of the sex shops, if only for story's sake. Plus, imagine the pictures! Although I'm sure you'd run into a Starbucks-like encounter, whereby the employees request that you get rid of your camera.

Anonymous said...

Another thought on the Erotica Supermarket - it has a website! Rebecca Rils.com, right there in bold print above the supermarche erotique, or whatever. Apparently you are not the only one who is afraid to go inside. They did not specify if you need to do an underscore in that space after Rebecca. Hold on, I will go there now........

No space or underscore needed. OH MY GOD! I know there are many people reading this so I will not detail the hilarious titles given to some of the products. Now I am worried that this website is in my computer history. I'm not that kind of person, really! :) I bet their income is going to skyrocket after the website disclosure here. Customs charges into the US can be very expensive, be forewarned all.