Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What, this old thing?

Today I bought a wedding ring, so now I can fearlessly traverse all of Eastern Europe! Confused? You should be.


Photobucket

Apparently my fake husband is totally loaded, because this faux diamond is pretty big.

Photobucket


Of the many sage pieces of travel advice offered by Couchsurfing.com, I particularly enjoy this one because it gives me an excuse to buy jewelry. The idea is that you wear the ring when you travel alone and always say that you're on your way to meet someone, if asked. I'm a big fan of double lives, so vagabonding around the Baltic states pretending to be a young wife meeting up with her hubby in Warsaw holds decided appeal for me.


But perhaps I should back up and actually tell you about my vacation. Spring break starts this Friday, and for two weeks I will doing some Major Traveling. It begins with a flight to Krakow, Poland, which turns into a bus to Warsaw, and then a bus to Vilnius, Lithuania, followed by a bus to Riga, Latvia and another to Tallinn, Estonia. From Estonia I'll take a ferry to Helsinki, Finland, then a second ferry to Stockholm, Sweden. From Sweden it's all trains, to Oslo, Norway, Gothenburg, Helsingborg, Copenhagen, and then back to Stockholm to catch my return flight to Paris. For those of you who've been keeping count, that's eight countries in two weeks, and I. Can't. Wait.


Except for the considerable problem that I'm going toute seule, as we say in French. A friend had originally agreed to go with me, but due to passport issues on his part it looks like I will be forced to forge onwards all by my lonesome. I think if I survive the experience, it'll be one of the most life-changing fortnights of my life. Who's not up for that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your husband will be delighted to see you at every stop. I hope he has reserved you nice accommodations and meals too. Have fun!

elizabeth said...

now you'll just get robbed!

RoswellGaRealtor said...

Reading your Mom's blog. She's so very proud of you. Hope you're doing well and having fun!

Roswell Ga Realtor (from ActiveRain)